New Job
I have recently been hired as the volunteer coordinator of ESL and after school enrichment programs for Holy Rosary parish in Minneapolis. While it is not a job in theology, it is through a church and therefore much closer to my field of study than my current job at Allina, which I plan on keeping though working less hours during the school year. The volunteer coordinator position is only part time, which actually works well for me with my full-time courseload. I am very excited for this job but also scared, as it is much different than pretty much any other job I've had, except possibly the Telefund. I will actually be working with people instead of paper, so that alone is exciting for me. I think I have a lot to learn, but the people I will be working with seem enthusiastic that I am joining their staff, and their enthusiasm is contagious. However, I think I am going to be the only person on their staff who is not bilingual. That is not required for the position, and they have said that it might be better because it should help their students learn English faster, but I still am left wishing that I would have taken Spanish instead of German in high school, as it would be much more helpful for this position. All in all though, it should be a very good experience and I am excited to do some practical work in the world and help immigrants acclimate to American culture and language.


5 Comments:
At 8:42 AM ,
Gina said...
Every day I wish that I had taken Spanish instead of German. As much as I loved German at the time, its really not helping me out much.
At 9:26 AM ,
Anonymous said...
so start taking spanish...
that's why i switched from french to spanish.
At 3:06 PM ,
Matthew B. Novak said...
Also because french sucks.
At 6:43 PM ,
empeterson said...
It's a little late to switch. You don't just start a new language in grad school, well, I guess you do in theology, but you don't start Spanish! You start Latin or Greek or Hebrew, not Spanish. Also, I have to translate an entire theological text from one language to English, so it's really not a good time to start a new language when I have to use German anyway to translate that. Fun. But maybe at some point I will audit Spanish classes at St. Kate's-alumnae can take one class a year for free. Not until grad school is done though!
At 8:20 PM ,
Emily Powell said...
Yes, that would be great! Next Monday I have off (Labor day) and Tuesday nights starting next week I have clarinet lessons, but most Fridays I should be free (except the 12th) so let me know what would work for you! We could plan on the 5th if you want, or sometime a couple weeks out, whatever.
Also, congratulations on your new job:)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home