WOW
World of Warcraft is an example of one of the many computer or video games that dominates people's lives, turning them into a new kind of couch potato, unwilling to interact in the real world. Sure, it's a "social game" meaning the WOW-player can interact virtually, and if you have a headset, actually talk to people too. But I ask you, is that really social interaction? For starters, most of the "conversation" is about the game itself. While players occasionally chat about their lives, the social aspect of the game is severly overrated. What it really means is that they are playing a game with other people who have no lives. Real social. Secondly, is virtual interaction real interaction? Or is it just a fantasy world where the players don't have to deal with anybody that they don't want to? If you want my opinion, and since you're reading my blog I'll assume that you do, that isn't real social interaction. It's a way of convincing people around you that you should be allowed to play because it's not always a solo activity. On top of the "social interaction" of WOW, when players actually do leave their desk and interact in the real world, if there is anyone else around that plays World of Warcraft, they will be drawn to that person and there they will remain for the majority of the evening, chatting about the game, until one or both of their wives tears them apart. And I say wives because the vast majority of WOW players are men. Or boys. Members of the male sex anyway. Surprisingly, it seems as though more than a few are married, which I don't get.
Now, while this blog may appear harsh to those of you who are lucky enough not to live with someone who plays WOW, I assure you that this is a realistic situation. Admittedtly, it is not always the case that this is the situation, but it occurs frequently enough to occasionally drive a wife up the wall. It could be just a pet peeve that is matched by something else in other people's marriages. This is likely the case. Still, I have noticed a trend in the marriages that I have seen where one of the spouses plays WOW that the other spouse is often irritated by the game.* Coincidence? I think not.
*This is from a rough data collection of a total of 2 marriages and should not be considered the final word on the subject.
I'm sorry, the position of annoying talking animal has already been filled.
Now, while this blog may appear harsh to those of you who are lucky enough not to live with someone who plays WOW, I assure you that this is a realistic situation. Admittedtly, it is not always the case that this is the situation, but it occurs frequently enough to occasionally drive a wife up the wall. It could be just a pet peeve that is matched by something else in other people's marriages. This is likely the case. Still, I have noticed a trend in the marriages that I have seen where one of the spouses plays WOW that the other spouse is often irritated by the game.* Coincidence? I think not.
*This is from a rough data collection of a total of 2 marriages and should not be considered the final word on the subject.
I'm sorry, the position of annoying talking animal has already been filled.


4 Comments:
At 9:23 AM ,
Unknown said...
Let me start this by saying that I have little love for WOW. I've played it, still have it on my computer, and don't have much temptation to start back up again.
I think the complaints you have against WOW could be said for almost any "social activity." Think of a game of Monopoly, for instance. A game that many would consider to be good, wholesome, clean fun. When playing the game, do you talk about much other than the game itself? Does that make it a less social game?
The activity in question could be any number of things. Cards, board games, TV Shows, Shopping, Sports, Working, eating, sleeping, reading, etc. Playing poker is not a bad thing, but I knew someone who dropped out of college because he had to choose between being awake for morning classes and his late night poker games.
My thought on this is that balance and moderation are needed in everything. If you spend so much time doing one thing that crucial parts of your life suffer, then it's out of balance. If you work so much that your relationships with people suffer, then the solution is not to completely cut out work, but to balance it out.
One thing that makes it hard to keep balance with WOW is the competition aspect. The key to moving up in the ranks of the game is the time spent playing. There are some people who are far out of balance, and spend most of their waking hours playing. In order to keep up, and thus play in a group with them, one must play excessively. If not, you fall behind, and are excluded.
So, the social aspect turns into social pressure. One could feel excluded, or inadequate by seeing their peers as a higher level as them in the game. To play catch up is almost impossible, as your peers are still advancing. Once you fall behind, it's hard to catch back up.
So, the social pressure of the game pushes some people to play excessively. This could happen with many other things, too. If you fall behind on watching a TV show that your social group talks about, you may feel excluded. If your peers get new cars, and you don't, you might feel excluded. If your peers are dating and/or married, you might feel left out. It's social pressure.
Unbalance and social pressure are everywhere, not just in WOW.
At 2:23 PM ,
Gina said...
I just can't even deal with this WOW junk anymore. I think Josh and I have a pretty good compromise for now. He even acknowledged the other day that he is trying to get some good playing time in now because he knows he won't be able to play forever. So I thought that was some real progress.
What really worked for us is we really discussed moderation, and compromise.
Good luck.
At 10:39 AM ,
Matthew B. Novak said...
Haha, suckers! I don't have any similiar problems with my Wii. Er, I mean, marriage. Yeah... I never play my Wii too much, driving Laura up a wall...
At 10:04 PM ,
Unknown said...
I don't have a problem with marriage, so I have you all trumped! So there!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home