And Baby Makes Three

Friday, April 22, 2005

Catholic teachings

I heard a very interesting rumor yesterday while I was at work. I'm not sure if it's true, but I thought I would put it out there. Two girls and I were somewhat talking about birth control, for about 2 minutes, right before we started calling people again, and one of them said there is a Vatican document or something like that (I'm assuming she meant an encyclical or something) that says if the majority of Catholics don't believe something or don't practice it, it becomes null. Is that true? I find it slightly hard to believe. She claimed that somewhere close to 85% of Catholics (and then thought that number might only be American Catholics, who are somewhat different from other Catholics in some ways) don't believe in birth control, using this to say it shouldn't be a Catholic teaching anymore. What are your thoughts on this? And is there really church teaching that if a majority stops believing/practicing it, it's not a teaching anymore? I seriously find that difficult to believe-if the majority of Catholics stopped believing in the Eucharist, it would still be a teaching. Same with many other things that our church has been based on.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM , Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

    Yeah, I've never heard of that before. I doubt it's true. Check the Catechism though. Also, I think that's just another sad example of Americans who feel that what we think is precisely what constitutes right and wrong. Check Chris Dykhoff's comments on my blog for more.

     
  • At 10:36 PM , Blogger CAL said...

    I think the principle your friend was referring to was "sensus fidei" (sense of faith). Basically, the Church says all baptized contribute to what the Church teaches and believes by what they practice. But this is different than making the faith a matter of "majority rule." We talk about this in my classes. Find a theology prof and have him/her explain it to you. Also, see the Catechism, 904-907.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home