School
And another school year has started. Actually, as far as the forseeable future goes, it's my last year of school. Weird, now that I actually think about it. For as long as I can remember, which is pretty long, come September I've headed off to school, and this is my last one. Well, maybe. Chances are eventually I'll go to grad school, but as far as I can tell, it won't be next year.
I only have 3 real classes this year, but I'm actually taking 17 credits, the most I ever have. That's because I'm registered for a senior honors project which counts as 4 credits and goes on our transcript (so I better come up with a cool title that looks good) and a one credit gym class. What a joke-I'm taking relaxation, and today for class we walked down to the river. We haven't even done anything. Ironically, we had to buy a $60 book on stress management, to which Eric asked me "doesn't paying so much for a book for a gym class just stress you out more?" And it does, it does. Still, I've actually found it kindof intriguing so far. It's really easy reading too so I don't really care. My 3 real classes are logic, which I think I will do well in as long as I do the homework and pay attention in class (so far it's pretty easy, but I think it will get semi-challenging), a senior seminar type class called Utopia/Dystopia for my philosophy major (he was expecting about 6 people to take the class and we have nearly 20, most of whom I'm sure aren't philosophy majors. Lame-for some reason it really disappoints me. I was really hoping for a small, more intimate class setting), and the mission and identity of Jesus Christ, which is, as I'm sure you guessed, a theology class. The senior seminar and the theo class are both night classes, so I only have one real day class, plus my gym class which only goes for the first 1/2 of the semester. My theo class is only a 200-level class, but I think it's going to be the most work. 3 tests and a final, an exegesis paper (I'm glad I've already had experience with that!) but that's not even what's going to make it that hard-we already had 3 or 4 assignments tonight (I already lost track, great) and there will be papers and assignments to hand in every week, plus what looks like a lot of reading. I don't know why I think it will be so hard, I'm a senior in college for crying out loud, I'm used to this. I don't know, maybe she just overwhelmed me with the 8 million handouts she gave us tonight, most of which were things we need to do for next week. And with words like christology and exegesis getting thrown around like they're the words "the" and "and", who wouldn't get a little stressed? Good thing I have that relaxation class to keep me sane...I really do have to stay motivated though, what with being married and off campus and a real life outside of school this year, and like I said, even though I only have 3 real classes, I have my senior honors project which is entirely on my own and is supposed to be the equivalent of a 4-credit class. Yikes. Good luck to me. Good luck to anybody else in school too!
So, I know I quit doing song lyrics at the end of my posts. However, since I am somewhat of a movie buff, or at the very least I just enjoy watching movies, and since Eric and I started Netflix, so I will hopefully be watching many more new movies, I've decided to do movie quotes at the end of my posts for you all to guess at. Or just enjoy. Or look up the movie and watch it yourself. Whichever.
"You've got to drag yourself into the 70's"
I only have 3 real classes this year, but I'm actually taking 17 credits, the most I ever have. That's because I'm registered for a senior honors project which counts as 4 credits and goes on our transcript (so I better come up with a cool title that looks good) and a one credit gym class. What a joke-I'm taking relaxation, and today for class we walked down to the river. We haven't even done anything. Ironically, we had to buy a $60 book on stress management, to which Eric asked me "doesn't paying so much for a book for a gym class just stress you out more?" And it does, it does. Still, I've actually found it kindof intriguing so far. It's really easy reading too so I don't really care. My 3 real classes are logic, which I think I will do well in as long as I do the homework and pay attention in class (so far it's pretty easy, but I think it will get semi-challenging), a senior seminar type class called Utopia/Dystopia for my philosophy major (he was expecting about 6 people to take the class and we have nearly 20, most of whom I'm sure aren't philosophy majors. Lame-for some reason it really disappoints me. I was really hoping for a small, more intimate class setting), and the mission and identity of Jesus Christ, which is, as I'm sure you guessed, a theology class. The senior seminar and the theo class are both night classes, so I only have one real day class, plus my gym class which only goes for the first 1/2 of the semester. My theo class is only a 200-level class, but I think it's going to be the most work. 3 tests and a final, an exegesis paper (I'm glad I've already had experience with that!) but that's not even what's going to make it that hard-we already had 3 or 4 assignments tonight (I already lost track, great) and there will be papers and assignments to hand in every week, plus what looks like a lot of reading. I don't know why I think it will be so hard, I'm a senior in college for crying out loud, I'm used to this. I don't know, maybe she just overwhelmed me with the 8 million handouts she gave us tonight, most of which were things we need to do for next week. And with words like christology and exegesis getting thrown around like they're the words "the" and "and", who wouldn't get a little stressed? Good thing I have that relaxation class to keep me sane...I really do have to stay motivated though, what with being married and off campus and a real life outside of school this year, and like I said, even though I only have 3 real classes, I have my senior honors project which is entirely on my own and is supposed to be the equivalent of a 4-credit class. Yikes. Good luck to me. Good luck to anybody else in school too!
So, I know I quit doing song lyrics at the end of my posts. However, since I am somewhat of a movie buff, or at the very least I just enjoy watching movies, and since Eric and I started Netflix, so I will hopefully be watching many more new movies, I've decided to do movie quotes at the end of my posts for you all to guess at. Or just enjoy. Or look up the movie and watch it yourself. Whichever.
"You've got to drag yourself into the 70's"


6 Comments:
At 9:05 PM ,
Matthew B. Novak said...
I should know that quote... I'm thinking maybe Hairspray, but I'm pretty sure that's not right.
Logic will get very challenging, but it's very rewarding too. It's almost like a math class, with proofs and such, but it will have a much more foundational effect on your thinking. Good stuff.
Any ideas for your thesis? And if you get any good stress-reduction tips from your class, please send them my way, since I'm terribly stressed out much, much too frequently.
At 9:02 PM ,
empeterson said...
keep thinking about the quote...right now logic is so easy, and i feel so smart in it...and old-we have some pseo kids, and they just make me feel old and mean and cocky about how smart I am. Probably not necessarily a good thing-i think i have a senior snobbiness thing going on. it's happening in a few classes. Maybe once some more challenging material comes my way, it will go away, but right now i just feel so much smarter than a lot of people.
do you mean my senior honors project thesis? i have a pretty well formulated idea, which i will probably write a post about soon because it's complex and detailed. so look for one coming in the next few days.
At 4:44 AM ,
Gina said...
problem... empeterson... obviously I know that that posting was from you but the comment on my blog could have been from either one of you. too confusing. In fact I thought it was from eric until I came and read this comment and then realized it was from you.
At 6:53 AM ,
Alan said...
if it is indeed from the movie Foul Play like i think it is i'm a little disappointed because the better quote from that movie is...
"You're walking around like a lightbulb, waiting to be screwed."
At 2:50 PM ,
Unknown said...
alan does have the better quote on you em
At 9:25 PM ,
empeterson said...
maybe i just like that one better. and maybe i was waiting for another point in time to use that one. lots of movies have multiple good quotes.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home