And Baby Makes Three

Friday, February 25, 2005

Population Control

Today in biology my professor made a comment somewhat related to what we were talking about that had to do with population control. Now, I am not sure if I am the only one in my family who feels this way, but I often feel slightly insulted or offended (and therefore become defensive) when people talk about how good population control is and how we should do all these things such as only allow people to have a certain number of kids and promote birth control more and all of that. Some of it, such as the birth control issue, is a separate issue because it is more of a morality thing and has not a lot to do with me personally. However, I sometimes feel that people are pointing the finger at people like me and my family and saying we're bad for the country and the world because we have too many kids. Like kids are a bad thing or something, and we screw everything up for other people. I know they don't really mean it personally, but coming from a family of 15, it's somewhat insulting to hear people say people should only be allowed to have 2 or 3 kids or whatever, and if they have more, then what? they should be punished? I don't think people realize how they sound when they talk about it, or realize that they are offending people like myself who are part of large families and think that there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, I personally feel that my family, as individuals and as a whole, is contributing and will contribute more to society then many other people can even dream about. We're making a difference in the world and in fact, the more of us there are the bigger difference we can make.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM , Blogger Eric Michael Peterson said...

    like making your own private army?

     
  • At 3:58 PM , Blogger Gina said...

    Watch out world! The Novaks are taking over!

     
  • At 4:21 PM , Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

    Actually, Emily, I do feel exactly the same way. I was having a conversation in a class once where I pointed out to everyone that if anyone, our family was "guilty" of contributing to world population. Everyone just sort of paused and said "whoa" because they hadn't even considered it. They hadn't considered our family individually, and they hadn't considered that real people would be "guilty" of causing the problem.

    Anyways I always use several responses. First I let them know that the problem isn't population size, but rather distribution of resources. Second I let them know that all recent (valid) studies point to the world population maxing out somwhere around 8 or 9 billion and then decreasing. And I point out that economically large families make more sense - if you've got 15 people living in one house that normally 5 would live in you're distibuting resources more efficiently. Of course, people point out that the real problem comes when all those kids have families too. I guess the response to that is that if you really think world population is a problem you'd have to say that there should only be big families, but that only some children from those big families get to have children of their own. Either way though, we should eliminate families that only have one or two kids because the inefficient use of resources is the problem. I know this is all pretty awful, and I don't believe it, but when you draw this picture for others they can see how awful it is too, and they feel less inclined to think of world popoulation as a problem - when you make them feel like they're the ones who are guilty they finally realize the effects of what they're saying.

     
  • At 8:39 PM , Blogger btnovak said...

    If we would have only had 2 or 3 kids you wouldn't be having this discussion

     
  • At 9:44 AM , Blogger empeterson said...

    dang right i wouldn't be having this conversation-if you had 2 or 3 kids I wouldn't even be here!

     
  • At 5:06 PM , Blogger btnovak said...

    emily emily emily , that was the point I was tring to make

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home