And Baby Makes Three

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Global Warming

For my Global Search for Justice class, which is the required/core class for juniors and seniors, we have to do an extensive research project that includes a paper, poster session, and group presentation. Each GSJ course has a different focus such as women and health, dismantling racism, environmental justice, etc. You choose which class sounds best to you and take it. I chose environmental justice because I think it is extremely important and not as widely focused on as other issues, especially, being at an all-female school, women's issues. I did not want to take a class focusing on women's issues since I feel I get a good background (heck, even a detailed knowledge) of that area in pretty much every other class I take. Anyway, the point of this is I chose environmental justice. Turns out I have an extremely difficult professor (the professors who teach these classes are from other disciplines; mine is a sociology professor) who, since it is a writing intensive class, grades much more difficultly than her other classes (or so I hear). We already had to do our research proposal for the project, and I got 7/10. So did almost everybody in the class, so I guess I probably didn't actually do that bad. I didn't think I did bad anyway, I did everything she asked, but what can you do. Apart from this huge project, we only have to write 2 papers, so I guess for a writing intensive class that isn't so bad. Again, I think it just means she grades harder.

My research project, which we have to have 20 sources for (only 10 scholarly though) is on global warming. I wanted to do it on something less controversial than factory farming and animal rights which a couple people are doing (and as you can see by my previous posts I don't understand) and less typical than pollution or hazardous waste dumping. Turns out something that I thought was simple and non-controversial is actually very controversial. A few degrees of change (actually only around 1 degree Fahrenheit) in the earth's average temperature is a huge change to some scientists and a weak sign of change to others. Whether or not the climate change is natural or caused by human activities such as deforestation and fossil fuels is also debated. Climate modeling is unpredictable or at least a higher than desirable percentage of error. The predicted impacts of global warming are especially debatable. In fact, some people think the earth should warm up to make the world more livable, while many others think it will cause droughts and floods, more extreme weather events (hurricanes, etc.), higher spread of diseases such as malaria. I think I should focus more on alternate energy sources-those are good for a variety of reasons, not just the fact that they contribute less to carbon dioxide in the atmosphere which contributes to global warming-or, as apparantly is politically correct, global climate change.

Where concerns about the world getting warmer
The people thought they were just being rewarded

11 Comments:

  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

    The song is Sleeping In by the Postal Service.

    Environmental Justice is an important issue. I'm astonished how you seem to keep gravitating towards things I've worked on before... (see my job during the summer of '02; philosophy thesis).

    Can law school be far away? I think not...

     
  • At 9:48 PM , Blogger empeterson said...

    I think so.

     
  • At 2:15 PM , Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

    What's with the opposition? It's something to consider.

     
  • At 3:45 PM , Blogger Kendrick Novak said...

    I just spent the first half of the semester in ecology studying global warming and what can happen if even one degree changes. I'll call you one of these days to discuss because I like the topic somewhat.

     
  • At 10:29 PM , Blogger empeterson said...

    I'm really not interested in being a lawyer. Plus I'm strongly considering grad school.
    Kendrick-I know what happens, we can still discuss it though. I'm of the mind that global warming is a problem, or at least has the potential to be a big problem.

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger Gina said...

    pax christi was having a big seminar thing on global warming and the church or something i'm not sure of the exact title. i bet you missed it though.

    some moron at josh's work refuses to believe in global warming because (and i quote) "they are using data from more than 30 years ago, so its out of date and irrelevant."

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Blogger Matthew B. Novak said...

    How the hell else are they suppose to prove the that temperature has risen in the last 30 years?

     
  • At 11:33 AM , Blogger empeterson said...

    mom just told me about that today too when maria came to visit. she said her and dad wanted to go see it, but i thought she said it hadn't happened yet. either way, i'm probably ok not seeing it since i have so much information. although i do still need about 10 sources...and none of them have to be scholarly if i don't want them to be!

    at least all the science people in my family (and matt, who i at least consider smart, if not sciency) believe it's a problem-so do pretty much all actual scientists. and al gore. hahaha.

     
  • At 10:05 AM , Blogger Kendrick Novak said...

    Yeah but I feel like I am the most sciency in our family because I am a biolog major and not going into medical stuff. Plus I wrote a whole paper on it. HEHE, sorry, I just know this stuff really well, and care about it too, I mean that is the reason I am going to make it my job.

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger empeterson said...

    does anybody know any local or whatever kind of global warming environmental activist group? i need to use one for my paper.

     
  • At 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    try the sierra club

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home