Jesus was a utilitarian
The basic principle behind utilitarianism is utility, or the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Basically, to be moral, one should do whatever benefits the greatest number of people, or I suppose whatever does the least harm as well. Even if it means sacrificing one really sick person who stands a very slim chance of survival in order that 5 people can benefit from the organs that are donated. But that's not what this is about. My point is, Jesus died willingly to save the entire world from sin. Therefore, by doing harm only to himself (and doing it willingly) he did the greatest good that was possible, and in fact the greatest good that has ever been done. Therefore, Jesus was a utilitarian.
I know people are going to comment on this blog and say that he wasn't in other ways, his life wasn't lived by the utilitarian morality, but that also is not the point of my blog. The point is, in this one decision, Jesus chose to be a utilitarian and sacrifice himself so that the greatest good could come about for the greatest number of people.
I know people are going to comment on this blog and say that he wasn't in other ways, his life wasn't lived by the utilitarian morality, but that also is not the point of my blog. The point is, in this one decision, Jesus chose to be a utilitarian and sacrifice himself so that the greatest good could come about for the greatest number of people.


7 Comments:
At 10:32 PM ,
Matthew B. Novak said...
Interesting. I think you can make a substantial argument for your point, but I don't know if I think God subscribes to any one philosophy. And if He does, I'm pretty sure it's Natural Law, not Utilitarianism.
And I'd say that we can't read into Jesus's motivation. We can say that his action was consistent with utilitarianism, but we can't say he did it because he was a utilitarian.
Also, I'd suggest reading The Brothers Karamozov on this point. If I remember correctly, the basic idea I took from it was that the reason God had to die was because that would be the greatest injustice, and only God can bear injustice. People hate the idea that the world has evil in it, and can't bear living in a world of injustice, which is the natural consequence of evil. So by Jesus dying he frees us all - both from sin and to live in a world in which we have free will (and therefore in which evil and injustice are possibilities). Anyways, I'm rambling, but check it out. It's a brilliant book. I might reread it this summer.
At 12:22 AM ,
empeterson said...
you dork. have you completely forgotten i have your copy of the brothers k? not to mention eric just bought it for me for my birthday...but anyway. i'm reading after i finish crime and punishment, which you suggested i read first, and which i've been trying off and on to get through since last January, and now I finally figured out a method of reading it so I'll be done with it probably by the end of the weekend actually, then ready to head on to Brothers Karamozov.
At 9:01 AM ,
Matthew B. Novak said...
Awesome. And no, I didn't forget that you had my copy, I just figured you hadn't read it yet.
At 9:06 AM ,
Anonymous said...
i think emily just learned a new concept at school and one of her teachers said something relating the two. so she like it and thinks it is witty and now is apply it and trying to make everyone see it her way....
At 10:16 PM ,
empeterson said...
shut up maria
At 12:07 AM ,
Alan said...
i thought it was funny...
At 10:39 AM ,
Anonymous said...
hehe
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home