Psychology and the Sciences
Just to clear up some misinformation that some of my siblings (aka Gina and Kendrick) have been spreading around, psychology is a science. And unlike what Kendrick claimed it to be in a recent comment on my mothers post, it is not an "impure science." The comment I am refering to is one that said we have 3 scientists in our family, 2 pure. Ouch. Psychology is a "pure" science-it studies mental processes and behaviors, using the SCIENTIFIC METHOD! It follows all of the same rules as the more "strict" or "pure" sciences such as biology and chemistry follow. And also, to tell you the truth, it doesn't really matter anymore anyway, since I'm changing my major. I'm no longer a psychology major, although I will fight for it since it is a most interesting topic. However, don't worry about not having 3 "pure" scientists in the family. I'm thinking along the lines of sociology now, mostly because it's extremely broad, and since I have no clue as to what I'm going to do when I "grow up", I figure it might be a good choice. We'll see. Anybody have any other ideas for majors? (Matt, if you say philosophy I think I might get sick. That's not something that interests me nearly as much as it interests you.)


15 Comments:
At 1:15 AM ,
Kendrick Novak said...
History major. HAHAHAHAHAHA
At 11:06 AM ,
Matthew B. Novak said...
Take a philosophy of human nature type course. It'd be a good compliment - that's all I've ever been saying.
The problem with psychology as a science is that too many psychologists run expirements and then just interpret the results how they want them, to "prove" their hypothesis. But I would agree that the hallmarks of a real science are hypothesis/expirement/analysis/prediction. Social sciences, thus, are still sciences. They simply aren't physical sciences. The other thing, though, is that social sciences often extend beyond the scientific method, to something more. For example, economics does all the hypothesis, expirement, etc. Heck, it even uses tons of math like most sciences! But it also is subject to normative explainations, and so the science often gets left behind for policy. Anyways, to summarize: Social sciences are still sciences, but each field contains non-scientific elements, such as policy, in addition to those scientific processes.
If you're interested, I've got some books on this subject, since I took a whole class on it at St. John's.
At 8:55 PM ,
CAL said...
Other ideas for your major: Theology, Political Science, Education, DRAMA, Communications, International Relations, Anthropology...
Politics could be a could area to get involved in...
At 10:20 PM ,
Alan said...
hmm... i wonder which is most endorced...
At 10:46 PM ,
empeterson said...
Why in the world was drama in capitals? Is that a HINT or something?
At 10:53 PM ,
Eric Michael Peterson said...
Political science!!!!! thats the last thing you (or i) need.... eeekkk!!!!
At 10:56 AM ,
Gina said...
I always thought drama was a perfect fit.
At 8:46 PM ,
CAL said...
What's Eric worried about if you do the Political Science major?? Is he thinking in terms of what he'd need to hide from his shady past if you two stay together and you're involved in the public realm? makes me wonder...
At 9:12 PM ,
Kendrick Novak said...
I was going to write something but forgot due to Sara, I am talking to her you see.
At 11:38 PM ,
Matthew B. Novak said...
I can sum up why Eric is afraid of Emily going into politics with just 3 little words. Miss awe genie.
At 9:50 AM ,
Alan said...
Shady past... *snicker*
At 3:24 PM ,
Kendrick Novak said...
Speaking of using three words. This is what I said in class today
3 words, star bellied sneetches. And then I got to use that example to describe clones and how they might replace humans but won't because eventually we won't know who is who, like the sneetches.
At 4:00 PM ,
Eric Michael Peterson said...
very few politicians have political science degrees, but.... if emily did go into that my past would be a shining beacon.... more or less.... but seriously.... Politics?????? ewwww.....
At 5:04 PM ,
empeterson said...
Why ewww? What's wrong with politics?! I could really make a difference!
At 8:48 PM ,
CAL said...
You go girl!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home